Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

MOM!!

Your letter made me bawl!

But before i go on any further, let me begin with a quote from Elder Dallin H. Oaks:

"We should thank God for our adversities, pray for guidance, knowing it is all part of the plan."

This week has been such a challenging one, but your letter has brought me so much peace at mind. I LOVE that you have been able to be there for Britane this week, it truly does make SUCH a huge difference when you have a supportive member. It makes all the difference to the investigator and to the missionaries. I can't even express how thankful I am for a mom who is willing to not only live her testimony but to be willing to open her mouth and share what she knows to be true.

I love ya mom.

And what a tender mercy from the Lord regarding the surgery! I have been fervently praying that it wouldn't cause a huge financial burden, and I am so so grateful to my Heavenly Father for answering our prayers. Sister Miller is calling around to find a hospital which takes our insurance, and the only one they can find is outside the mission. Maybe you can email her that the one I went to really does take our insurance? I'm not sure what would be best, but I do know my body is NOT happy with me right now and they want me to get in ASAP. I was not able to go see the doctor this week because my companion had an appointment at the same time, but Sister Miller talked to him for me and discussed what would be best. But, thank you mom. I really really appreciate you.

Going on with Elder Oaks:

"Let us give thanks for what we are and the circumstances God has given us for our personal journey in mortality...When we understand that God OFFERS us OPPORTUNITIES for blessings and blesses us THROUGH our OWN adversities AND the adversities of OTHERS, we can understand WHY he has commanded us again and again to thank him in ALL THINGS."

In President Miller's email this week he stated:


We Are Thankful
Sister Miller and I are thankful for all the things you good missionaries do each week. We are thankful for your commitment to the work of the kingdom. We are thankful that you are striving to become 100% Preach My Gospel Missionaries. We know that when you talk with everyone with whom you come in contact and ask for referrals every time you teach you will double your success. We have learned that when we talk with people rather than to people our success increases. Some say that people don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care. This really applies to our missionary work. Thank you for adopting Preach My Gospel and then adapting what you have learned to your various circumstances. Remember, our purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ and be baptized. When we meet people throughout the week we only have one moment to make a first impression and after those 20 seconds the opportunity is gone. Preach My Gospel and the scriptures direct us to speak of the Doctrine of Christ. D&C 33:6-12. Later, as we teach, we must qualify and find out where our investigators are so we can take them to the Sacred Grove.
We are thankful for those who have developed a vision for this great work and then plan to accomplish it. We look at many planners and see that every half hour is planned with backups and we feel to thank the Lord for all of you who understand this principle. We are thankful for all of you who arise at 6am and follow the missionary schedule with exactness. Who, when they return at night tired, still muster the energy to plan for the next day before going to bed. They understand that they get what they go for. Thank you for making up your minds to serve all the time no matter what the cost.
This is also the season for colds, headaches, injuries and other events that put you on the side lines. To all of you, thank you for enduring these trials with a smile on your face and a determination to overcome these setbacks and serve fervently. We are confident the Lord loves you and will soften these trials and setbacks as you call upon him for comfort. We all have moments when our faith wavers, but a great big thank you for those who then diligently search the scriptures for the strength of the word to flow into your souls. Some of you have made some errors in judgment and may have acted foolishly. Thank you for those of you who have repented of your mistakes and are pursuing a course that will lead you to joy and happiness.
We are thankful for those who have looked within and have done all they can to be obedient and still feel they have not had the success they had sought. Our hearts and admiration go to you who, in these difficult circumstances, do not give up but rather redouble your efforts to show the Lord how much you love Him.
Thank you for the love and respect we feel from all of you as we serve you in the Salt Lake City South Mission. We pray for your success, we pray for your happiness; we pray for your joy and we pray for your conversion. Thank you for letting us serve you for when we are in your service we serve the Lord. Love, President and Sister Miller


It strengthened my faith to know that I am to be thankful for the state of health I am in, because it strengthens me.

Just as is states in 3 Nephi 10:10

"And the earth did cleave together again, that it stood; and the mourning, and the weeping, and the wailing of the people who were spared alive did cease; and their mourning was turned into JOY and their lamentations into the praise and thanksgiving unto the Lord Jesus Christ, their Redeemer."

Sister Pousima told me to always remember 5 little words when things get hard they are, "it will all pan out."

There is still so much to tell you, I wish I had time.

Sister Miller just called so I have to hurry & finish so I can get a couple other things done for her today.

I am so excited for Thanksgiving, we are no longer allowed to go anywhere in the mission, so no sister pousima :( but we are going to a family who has 2 kids out in Russia and Paris serving so they wanted us to join them!! (ASK THE SISTERS AND ELDERS IF THEY HAVE SOMEWHERE TO GO!) Then we are going to the Robb's (the ones who remind me of Uncle Todd & Aunt Licia) so at least I won't feel too far from home :)

And yes, I remember our white Thanksgiving perfectly!

I carry the picture of all us kids pilled in the snow/dog pilled on Crystal around with me in my scriptures (to show my family & to prove that seattle does get snow) haha love you and miss you!

Keep me updated on how the lessons go!!!!

It makes it feel like you aren't too far away when I hear you are involved with the sisters and THAT I am grateful for.

Enjoy Thursday! Put my picture at the little table with the trio :)

hahaha

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Sister Givens

ps-thanks for the package & cards!!! I will pick them up from my zone leaders at 2:30, but i really do appreciate them :)

I've got the best family!

Love ya!

pps-i'm going to the Temple tomorrow!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment